Fostering a Sense of Community
A positive virtual learning environment is created by all members of the school community treating each other with “Respect, Cooperation, and Courtesy”. Students are to be treated with respect and dignity. In return, they must demonstrate respect for themselves, for others and for the responsibilities of citizenship through acceptable online behaviour.
Respect and responsibility are demonstrated when a student:
• attends all synchronous classes on time, prepared to work, and ready to learn;
• refrains from language and behaviour that may compromise the safety and well being of others;
• follows the established rules and takes responsibility for his or her own actions and shows respect for themselves and for others.
All virtual school members must:
• demonstrate honesty and integrity and respect the rights of others;
• be respectful of others with regards to comments and refrain from using offensive language;
• respect and treat others fairly, with dignity and respect, regardless of their race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability;
• show proper care and regard for HPEDSB property and the property of others;
• respect persons who are in a position of authority;
• respect the need of others to work in an environment of learning & teaching;
Respect for Self
• Students are expected to work in a neutral environment (ie: living room, kitchen, dining room etc) during synchronous learning activities, when possible.